USCG Application for Initial Registration: Leaving Port

USCG application

Before you head out on the water, do you go through an entire safety check? If you’re like so many other vessels, you check your gasoline, your flares, your lights, your personal flotation devices, your phones, your radio, and much, much more. You probably let someone on land know where you’re going and when you expect to be back. Those are the precautions you take to make sure that you and everyone on your vessel will be as safe as possible. Vessel documentation works the same way. Before you go out on the water, you want to make sure that you have your USCG application for initial registration handled and much more. 

What this USCG Application Does 

If your vessel measures five net tons and is owned by an American citizen, you can get your vessel documented. Remember, it’s “measures” five net tons and not “weighs” five net tons, as “net tons” measures “volume” and not “weight.” If you’re going to use it for fishing activities, transporting people or merchandise on American waters, or those of the EEZ, then you absolutely have to. At our site, you can find the forms that will allow you to send in this registration and get it done pronto. 


We know that some of our vessel owners need and want to get out on the water as quickly as possible. We respect that. So, you can opt for “Rush Processing.” That means that your forms will be put at the very top of our queue. That said, your initial documentation only lasts for one year. After that, you do have to renew it. In fact, you have to renew it for every year that you want your vessel to be documented. If you don’t, and let this documentation expire, then you have to go the route of “reinstatement.” That’s more difficult. Renewal is almost always the best option. 

Renewal Made Easier 

You may have read the last paragraph and thought “that sounds like a lot of work, having to renew each year.” It can be. It can also be a real pain. That’s why we’ve made it so that you don’t have to. At our site, you can actually renew for up to five years in advance. So, with that, we’ll take care of all of that renewing for you. So many vessel owners have told us about how great it is to even have one less chore to deal with. 

All of the USCG Forms You May Need 

Just as easy as it is to use the forms above at our site, it is as easy as it is to use all of the other forms at our site, too. For example, maybe you decide to get financing for your vessel. You can find the Preferred Ship’s Mortgage here, too. Once you’ve paid that off, we’ve got the “Release of Mortgage” form, as well. Then, when it’s time to look for a new vessel, an Abstract of Title can let you know exactly what’s going on with that new boat. For more: (866) 981-8783.