Process United States Coast Guard Documentation Here

Process United States Coast Guard Documentation

Most of us find filling out application forms, confusing, time-consuming and repetitive. Registering and licensing a vessel is no less of a headache. Luckily, you can process United States Coast Guard Documentation here! The applications go to the U.S. Coast Guard through the National Vessel Documentation Center and can be filled out and sent either online or by mail. An NVDC vessel search can be requested also, if necessary. Either way, it isn’t something that anyone enjoys. To avoid this, the alternative is to use maritime documentation professionals to make all your applications. They offer a three-step solution.

Services That Are Offered

  • Initial Application

The initial application of a vessel, whether it is a pleasure or commercial craft, anything from a canoe to an ocean-going vessel. Certification of commercial craft is much more complicated because their operation comes under many different aspects of maritime rules and regulations. Safety, equipment and competency of the crew are all subject to inspections and certification. Qualified crew are necessary for larger ships, and their standard of training are all subject to the scrutiny of the coast guard as the authority with the responsibility of overseeing the safe and legal operating of all maritime craft within U.S. waters.

  • Commercial Craft

The applications for commercial craft will vary according to the intended use of the vessel. Commercial means operating a vessel with the intention of making a profit. As there many different maritime business enterprises, the rules and regulations that apply to each are different. A NVDC vessel search will narrow down the options.

Process United States Coast Guard Documentation

  • Certificate Renewals

Renewal of certifications can cause problems if the required applications for renewal aren’t processed at the proper time. There is more leeway as regards pleasure craft, but failure to carry the required certification on a commercial vessel may cause problems. Lack of attention to the correct or prompt renewal of paperwork may result in revocation of licenses and loss of business, so this becomes an essential aspect of your operation. Having marine documentation professionals monitoring your requirements will set your mind at ease.

  • Hailing Port Change

If you change your port of registry or hailing port, which is where your vessel is permanently docked when not in use, it has to be reported to the authorities.  If the new hailing port is in another state, that too has to be entered on your documentation.

  • Abstract of Title

An abstract of title can be requested as proof of your completed application process but cannot be obtained until after all your pending applications are completed and granted.

  • Foreign Vessels

Foreign vessel title searches may be necessary if you have purchased a vessel in another country or have bought one from another U.S. citizen.

Certain restrictions apply to foreign-built ships. If it has been purchased within the U.S., a title search will take approximately forty-eight hours. The time it takes for a search in other countries vary and can’t be predicted. An NVDC vessel search reveals the history from when it was built and may be sought for various reasons.

  • The Marad Waiver

This is another such service that relates to foreign-built vessels. The waiver is an amendment to the Jones Act 46 U.S.C. 12121. Under the act, only U.S. built, owned and crewed craft are permitted to operate in U.S. waters. The waiver allows some of these vessels exemption from this restriction. The restriction was put in place to protect U.S. maritime industries and businesses. The Marad waiver only applies to certain types of commercial vessels.

Other services

  •         Change of endorsement or trade indicator which is necessary for a change of occupation or use of the vessel.
  •         Satisfaction or release of mortgage which indicates that a vessel mortgage has been discharged and the owners aren’t indebted to the lender anymore. Under the coast guard rules, it is an obligation to report this and any vessel owner who doesn’t is liable to penalties by law.
  •         Reinstatement when a vessel’s certification has expired and the thirty day period of grace has expired too. The owner of the boat must apply to start the certification process once again.
  •         Transfer or exchange which usually applies to vessels over five tonnes or of twenty-five feet in length. It is the application to add or remove names of people who have an interest in the ship, which may be necessary for various reasons. It is the same for individually owned craft as well as company owned.

The process of vessel documentation is filled with pitfalls for those who don’t understand the jargon or requirements fully. Government websites can be confusing and it is difficult to obtain help when needed. That is why it is recommended to work with a website managed by vessel documentation professionals, who will ensure a smooth and secure process.   Visit for all your boat paperwork needs.