Making Sense of Form USCG 1258


Reading can be educational and fun. Reading vessel documentation forms is, well, not. For most boat owners, there are probably several million other things they’d rather do than read and fill out these forms. We absolutely understand that. It’s part of the reason we designed our site how we did: so that these forms were simple, easy, and, perhaps above all, quick to fill out. That way, everyone could get the forms they needed, even those that really didn’t want to have to do it. Form USCG 1258 is one of the most commonly used forms. 

USCG 1258

Form USCG 1258 Explained 

That’s the technical name of the form. You might also know it as “Application for Initial, Exchange, or Replacement of Certificate of Documentation; Redocumentation.” You can find forms for all of that on our site. Instead of making you fill out one possibly confusing form, we break things down in several smaller, simpler to fill out forms. We called our company “Vessel Documentation Online” for many reasons, not the least of which was that we wanted to streamline the vessel documentation process. So, instead of one “catch-all” form, you can find a form that’s specific to your needs. 

What You Need to Know 

The keyword in the last paragraph might be “application.” really, that’s what this form is. It’s not the kind of thing where you fill out the form at our site and then go, “Hey, I got the registration for my boat.” Alas, it doesn’t work that way. We’re very quick, but we aren’t instantaneous. This form is an application, and really, it’s the first step in the process. Once you’ve filled it out and sent it back to us, you’re on your way to getting the documentation you need. But, at that moment you don’t have it yet. If you’d like us to put it at the top of our queue, of course, you can opt for “Rush Processing.” 

Some Commonly Asked Questions about Terms 

Vessel documentation, like so many other official forms, has quite a bit of legalese. We’re always glad to get phone calls from our customers asking about one thing or another. We see it as one more way that we can help. For example, for the term “Managing Owner,” that means the person to whom the Coast Guard should send correspondence. If there’s a group of you who own the vessel, you should work that out. 

All of the Forms You Need 

This form is one of the most important forms that your vessel might need. However, it’s far from the only form. That’s why we offer as many forms as possible at our site. There, you can find all of the forms that you’ll need through every step of vessel ownership. From your initial documentation through forms that will help you sell it, you can find everything that you’ll need all in one easily-accessed place. Should you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at (866) 981-8783.