Renewal of Certificate of Documentation: What Vessel Owners Need To Know

certificate of documentation

If you are the owner of a USCG vessel, you must maintain the most recent versions of the essential papers to sail lawfully and without incident. The CG 1280 Renewal of Certificate of Documentation (COD) procedure doesn’t have to be as difficult as you think, and that’s the good news! In this article, we will present the information and resources necessary for renewing your CG 1280 Certificate of Paperwork (COD) so that you know the specifics of how to maintain your official vessel documentation up to date. Keep reading, and you’ll soon be able to say with certainty that you know all there is to know about renewing your COD.

The CG 1280 Must Be Submitted Before Your Current Certificate Expires

If your vessel has passed the Coast Guard inspection, you may show that it conforms with the law by presenting the CG 1280. Your ability to lawfully transfer your boat from one state to another depends on submitting this form before your existing certificate expires. 

It will take the Coast Guard some time to process the application, so waiting until after your certification has passed to submit it won’t help you avoid staying put. You may be eager to get your new boat out on the water as soon as possible, but if you don’t give some thought to how long it will take to acquire your new certificate of documentation (also known as a “document,” or “doc”), you may end yourself waiting a long time for your boat. 

If you’re purchasing a boat in person, allow at least two weeks to deliver this paperwork through regular mail; otherwise, you may have to wait many more weeks, if not months, before you can set sail.

You May Need To Provide Additional Documentation For Your Vessel

You may have heard of the CG-1280 if you are the owner of a vessel designed and constructed in the United States; this form is available from Customs and Border Protection. If your boat is a sailboat or powerboat used for pleasure, you are likely already acquainted with this form and how it operates. 

However, you may still need to pay attention to the memo if your commercial vessel is very new. U.S.-built ships may only be lawfully used by U.S. residents if adequately documented. To get your boat registered with the Coast Guard, you’ll need to pay an annual fee and fill out an application that includes all the details the agency needs to determine whether your boat fits their standards. 

This includes having a certificate of documentation number issued by the Coast Guard listed on the vessel’s registry and carrying evidence of current paperwork at all times. Renewing your proof of documentation may need the CG-1280 form or another procedure, depending on whether your vessel is intended for recreational or commercial usage.

Inspection Records from Previous Inspections by State or Federal Officials

A joint inquiry we’ve been receiving lately concerns CG 1280 Renewal of Certificate of Documentation. This paper indicates that your ship has been checked and found to comply with all local, state, and federal regulations. Furthermore, it serves as evidence that you have fulfilled these requirements, which might come in handy if you are ever stopped by a local, state, or federal authority and questioned about your eligibility. 

To be eligible to renew your CG-1280, you must have passed a state and federal inspection within the previous 24 months. This renewal is necessary to guarantee your vessel complies with all state and federal safety laws and any new restrictions that may be implemented. State inspections may be performed by a professional surveyor or the Coast Guard (if they are certified).

certificate of documentation

There Is No Need To Re-Register Your Boat if

If You Already Have A Current Registration During For CG 1280 Renewal Of the Certificate Of Documentation, there is no need to re-register your boat. It is necessary to re-register your boat before you may renew the documents associated with it. You are only permitted to register a ship if it has not been registered in any other jurisdiction. If you already have an active registration, it indicates that the information has been entered into the system; thus, there is nothing further that you need to do. 

You will need to start transferring your boat into your name before going to the Coast Guard office if the ship is still registered in the name of the manufacturer or the dealer and has yet to be transferred into your character. Suppose your boat is already registered in your name. In that case, all you need to do is walk down to the Coast Guard station closest to you and bring two identification pieces (a driver’s license and another form like a passport or birth certificate).

The National Documentation Portal looks forward to working with you on the CG 1280 Renewal of Certificate of Documentation. We’re here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Fill out the online contact form for immediate assistance.