USCG Application for Documentation: Apply to Use Your Boat How You Want

USCG Application

Do you know how you want to use your vessel, but you aren’t sure how to do so while being in compliance with the powers that be? Are you in the process of completing your USCG Application for Documentation and you’re a bit stumped by Section J? Choosing the right endorsement for your vessel is important. The last thing any vessel owner wants is to go through the entire documentation process only to find that they still aren’t in compliance (due to picking an improper endorsement). At our site, you can choose the right endorsement and then, if necessary, change it. 

Understanding Section J of Your USCG Application for Documentation 

When you get to “Endorsements for Which Application is Made,” you have to choose the endorsement(s) sought for your vessel. Are you going to use it for commercial fishing operations on the navigable waters of the United States or the Exclusive Economic Zone? Then, you’re going to want to choose “Fishery.” Are you going to use your vessel to transport passengers or merchandise on those same waters? Should that be the case, then the “Coastwise” endorsement is the right one for you. 

Other Available Endorsements 

“Registry” may sound a bit counterintuitive, but it’s primarily used for foreign trade. “Recreational,” on the other hand, is exactly what it sounds like. You’re going to use your vessel for recreation, for fun with family and friends. Something to keep in mind: even if your vessel does not have a “Recreational” endorsement, you can use it for recreation. But, if your vessel has a “Recreational” endorsement, you can’t use it for anything other than recreation. For example, you can’t get a “Recreational” endorsement and then engage in commercial fishing operations, transport merchandise, and so forth. 

Why So Many Choose the “Recreational” Endorsement 

You might then ask: “so what’s the point of the Recreational endorsement?” There are many benefits to this endorsement. For one, so many of our customers use it so as to be able to get a Preferred Ship’s Mortgage that much easier. Many lenders won’t offer financing on your vessel unless your vessel is documented. Additionally, many like being able to put their name and hailing port on the side of the vessel. 

How to Change Your Endorsement and More 

It’s natural to be a bit nervous when filling out these documentation forms. However, you don’t have to be nervous when it comes to Section J. If you ever decide to change your endorsement, we make it easier than ever to get it done. If you look on our site, we have a “Change of Endorsement/Trade Indicator” form that will let you do exactly that. Beyond that, you can find any of the other forms that you need at our site, too. We understand this can be a lot of information. Should you have any questions, our trained staff will be more than happy to answer any of them at (866) 981-8783.