How to Transfer Ownership of a Documented Vessel

Documented Vessel

Ownership of a documented vessel may be transferred quickly and easily at the Vessel Documentation Center. It is just necessary to produce a photocopy of the Certificate of Documentation in this case. It must include the owners’ signatures, and a copy of the document must be notarized. Then, provide the new owner’s name and address in the body of the letter. What would you do if you misplaced your Certificate of Registration? Our crew can still generate a bill of sale for the proprietor.

You have the option of notarizing it manually or digitally. Transferring ownership of a documented vessel may be a complex process, particularly if you’re a first-time boat owner who doesn’t know where to begin. When it comes to changing the name or address on the Certificate of Documentation issued to you, you must have both the first bill of sale for the boat and the second bill of sale for when it is re-delivered. What is the process for making these? They may be signed online or physically notarized, depending on your preference.

Documented Vessel

Make Sure You Have Everything You Need to Transfer the Ownership of Your Documented Vessel

Transferring ownership of a recorded vessel necessitates the gathering of several supporting documents. The vessel title paperwork is required as a preliminary step. Buyers who lack a license may get one from their local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) according to Of course, a duplicate of the bill of sale or gift letter must be prepared. If the vessel was inherited, you might provide a copy of the deceased’s death certificate.

Documents that support your claim should include all fees and taxes owed on any vessels you own. All vessels registered with the US Coast Guard, such as motorboats, yachts, sailing vessels, and even pontoons, may be legally transferred to a new owner. The United States Coast Guard (USCG) provides the guidelines for transferring ownership of a documented vessel. Both current and prior owners must fill out a new registration card (also known as Transfer Form CG-1270). A bill of sale must be accompanied by documentation that you own the vessel you are selling.

Be Sure to Save a Copy of Your Completed Form and Any Supporting Documentation.

A copy of your application and any accompanying documentation should be made for your reference. It is always a good idea to have a copy of all the papers you provided to VIMC on their official file copies. Requesting an “Official File Copy” of your transaction will provide you with a copy of each form you filled out. They’ll scan and save your paperwork in their system.

To order file copies from the Coast Guard, you’ll need a hard-copy receipt from VIMC. File copy requests need your OCN/SIN number and mailing address. Before exiting VIMC or after obtaining your file copy from VIMC, check the top left corner of the form for the name of the form’s owner. Owner of Document ” is preceded by a 15-digit number and a PO Box address. As far as I can tell, this is not your boat’s SIN number, which is located in a safe place on board.

A Completed Documentation Package Should Be Sent or Faxed to The National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC)

A condition in the title replacement agreement mandates that the owner retain a copy of the replaced certificate. If you don’t have a copy of it, you’ll have to meet this condition. It’s a significant deal to own a registered watercraft. Boat ownership is a significant responsibility, but it may open up a new world of possibilities. In addition to the financial implications, maintaining your boat’s safety and integrity is an absolute need.

When it comes to owning or maintaining your vessel, the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) is here to help. However, what if you’ve misplaced part of your paperwork? A significant difficulty created by the loss or destruction of paperwork documents is that owners can no longer show ownership of their boats. Authorities may find this an issue if they conduct an inspection or collect tax information.

Transferring ownership of a registered vessel is a simple process. Forms and accompanying documentation are all that are required for the application process. Because we live in the digital age, you can send documents to someone by email if you already have their email address stored on your computer. You’ll still need to do a few things before you can transfer ownership of a vessel, such as mail or produce digital copies of the completed forms that they must sign and return to you. For more information on How to Transfer Ownership of a Documented Vessel, call us at 1-866-981-8783.